My family loves Nigerian food… we really do! But let us be honest, sometimes cooking Nigerian food can be tedious especially when you want an authentic dish – it takes too long to prep, cook and then washing up after …. Ughhh!! Lol It feels like there’s so much to do in a day with so little time and some wives and mothers don’t necessarily want to spend 2-3 hours in the kitchen, especially without help.
This is one of the reasons why I love seafood okra. It is a simple delicious dish that will leave your partner wondering… "how did she do that?!" Yeah we bad like that…lol. The best part – it takes less than 30 minutes to prep and cook.
One thing I would suggest when cooking this is to make sure all your prep work is done before you start cooking; it makes the cooking process so much quicker.
- Palm oil – ok, I don’t know the exact measurement, just use the amount that feels right for the amount of okra you have
- 1 tablespoon – Crayfish powder
- Dried/smoke fish (optional) – I didn’t use either the last time I made it.
- Okra – chopped, 2 cups should do but use the amount that feels right
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers – chopped finely
- 1 medium Onion – chopped finely
- Salt to Taste
- Maggi cubes
- 2-3 Cups seafood – for this dish I used prawns, calamari and tilapia… you can use mussels, lobster… whatever you enjoy.
- Spinach (optional) – I didn’t use spinach this time
- Parboil your seafood (about 5-7mins)
- Place a pot on medium heat and add the palm oil. When the palm oil starts to heat up, add the onions and let it fry until the onions become slightly translucent then add your pepper and crayfish
- Add the chopped okra, parboiled seafood and the stock from your seafood
- Add maggi and salt to taste
- Bring to boil and simmer uncovered for another 5 minutes or until your okra is al dente – I cook my okra this way to avoid overcooking it (because even after you turn off the heat, the okra is still cooking)
And that’s it… you can mix things up-add stock fish or whatever else you like… Enjoy! If you do make this, please share a pic on instagram and tag us @makyscorner #babychef #makysseafoodokra #makyscorner